Emergency messages may be left on the YCAS messaging system. Messages are checked infrequently, and not on any particular time schedule. Please leave only emergency messages.
YCAS members will be working at the Star Party and emails will not be checked over the weekend.
- What is the MDSP?
- How do I get my shirts?
- Can I bring my pet?
- How often are payment checks cashed?
- Can I run a generator outside of my RV?
- How can I recharge my power supplies?
- Does the Day Rate include night time observing?
- May I camp the day before or an additional day?
- Is there a refund for inclement weather?
- How do I get to the MDSP?
- What are the coordinates and altitude for the MDSP site?
- How are observing/camping spaces assigned?
- How early can I arrive?
- What times does the restaurant operate?
- Is there Cell phone service?
- Is Alcohol permitted?
- Are there hot showers and bathroom facilities?
The MDSP stands for the Mason Dixon Star Party. The MDSP is hosted by the York County Astronomical Society of York County, Pennsylvania. A star party is large gathering of amateur astronomers who meet, typically for a weekend for observations, and other activities, such as education, presentations, and other fun activities. The MDSP is located near Wellsville, Pa.[top]
The price of our shirts, sweatshirts and golf shirts do not include shipping. Clothing can be picked up at the information desk after you check in at the registration tent. If you need anything shipped to you, please contact us to make arrangements. [top]
PETS ARE allowed, but must be kept on a leash, and cleaned up after. They are NOT ALLOWED in the pool area, in the Bunkhouse nor the Restaurant. [top]
All checks received will be cashed on Saturday morning of that week. [top]
Notice: If using Generators use far west end of taxiway. Ask at Registration check in on where parking for use of generators is. Generators are for daytime use ONLY Hours are 10am to 6pm. No night time use, no exceptions. [top]
For charging, there will be at least 16 exterior receptacles on the concrete pad near the bunkhouse. [top]
YES! The day rate includes night time observing. You may bring your observing equipment and set up with everyone else, but you may not camp at the event site. The day rate does not include any camping privileges. [top]
Permission to stay past our advertised times will be at the discretion of the property owner for an additional fee and are undetermined at this time. [top]
As indicated on the registration pages, all registrations are non-refundable. Although it may not be apparent to attendees, there are vast amounts of planning and preparations that go into a Star Party. Along with this, there are large fixed costs that are not refundable for the event organizers. Our registrations fees are on par with other star parties. The registration fee also includes a seat at the presentations, free raffle tickets, a picnic, and other events. Inclement weather may depress the amount of attendees, but it will improve your chances on winning a raffle prize! [top]
Surf to our Maps & Directions page. [top] Also see aerial map of MDSP.
- Coordinates: 40° 2' 10" N, 76° 49' 55" W
- Altitude: 540ft above sea level [top]
Camping spaces will not be assigned. They are on a 1st come basis. If you need additional space for other club members, so you can all camp together, please let us know when you register. Also, once you chose a space for your group, be sure to let the registration desk know where you are so we can notify the rest of your group when they arrive. You may set up your telescope, and park, at your campsite. [top]
Early arrivals before noon on Wednesday are permitted. [top]
This years caterer will be The Old West Chuck Wagon. Hours of operation starting Friday evening till? See: Menu PDF. See the Info page for details. [top]
- Is cell phone reception available?
Yes cell connections are available.
16 Is alcohol permitted?
Yes. The MDSP is held on private land. Party down!
17 Are there hot showers and bathroom facilities?
Yes there are hot showers and heated bathrooms at two locations. At the Bunkhouse and behind Pool Pavilion. Pavilion is only usable if you pay the pool fee.
34 miles, 50 minutes away
- 75 minutes away
- Visit the Amish
- Shop The Outlets
Gettysburg National Military Park
- 35 minute drive from Star Party
- Gettysburg National Military Park
- Gettysburg Convention Center
- Gettysburg Cyclorama, Film, and Museum Experience
- Gettysburg National Military Park Home
Miniature Horse Farm
- Great for children!
- 35 minute drive!
- Land of Little Horses Farm Park
York County & Parks
Pinchot State Park
25 minute drive from MDSP.
Harrisburg Welcome Center
Whitaker Science Center - Harrisburg
- Best Western. Rt. 15 Mechanicsburg (717) 766-0238. 20 min
- Holiday Inn, Rt. 74 & Rt. 30, York. (717) 846-9500. 30 min.
- Hampton Inn, Rt. 15, Mechanicsburg (717) 691-1300. 20 min.